Print this page
Monday, 24 May 2004

TWO FIELD COMMANDERS BEHIND MAY 9 ATTACK KILLED IN CHECHNYA

Published in News Digest

By empty (5/24/2004 issue of the CACI Analyst)

Two field commanders involved in the organization of the May 9 terrorist attack in Grozny have been killed on the outskirts of Grozny, spokesman for the headquarters of the federal forces in the North Caucasus Col. Ilya Shabalkin told Interfax on Monday. Shabalkin said that a group of five rebels had been discovered in a search effort by federal forces in the southwestern outskirts of Grozny.
Two field commanders involved in the organization of the May 9 terrorist attack in Grozny have been killed on the outskirts of Grozny, spokesman for the headquarters of the federal forces in the North Caucasus Col. Ilya Shabalkin told Interfax on Monday. Shabalkin said that a group of five rebels had been discovered in a search effort by federal forces in the southwestern outskirts of Grozny. \"They were told to surrender but the rebels opened fire and attempted to flee. Three of them were killed in the ensuing shootout and the others fled,\" he said. He said two federal servicemen had been slightly wounded. One of those killed was identified as field commander Said- Emin Elikhanov, born in 1980, and another was a Wahhabi leader from the of Urus-Martan district, Taus Udayev, born in 1978. Investigators are still attempting to identify the third rebel. Shabalkin said three Kalashnikov assault rifles with partly filled magazines, four grenades, a homemade bomb and some 500 cartridges were found at the scene of the clash. (Interfax)
Read 1985 times