Print this page
Friday, 07 April 2006

RIGHTS GROUP BLASTS GERMAN REFUSAL TO PROSECUTE UZBEK EX-MINISTER

Published in News Digest

By empty (4/7/2006 issue of the CACI Analyst)

Human Rights Watch (HRW) issued a statement on the organization\'s website (http://www.hrw.org) on April 6 stating its intention to challenge the German federal prosecutor\'s decision not to open a case against former Uzbek Interior Minister Zokir Almatov.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) issued a statement on the organization\'s website (http://www.hrw.org) on April 6 stating its intention to challenge the German federal prosecutor\'s decision not to open a case against former Uzbek Interior Minister Zokir Almatov. HRW was earlier involved in a complaint against Almatov by Uzbek citizens in December 2005 seeking to try Almatov under German law for alleged mass killings in Andijon. Almatov had been undergoing medical treatment in Germany but has since returned to Uzbekistan. HRW noted in its April 6 statement that German Federal Prosecutor Key Nehm decided on March 31 to forego action against Almatov because he considered the chances of a successful investigation and prosecution \"nonexistent.\" HRW said that the decision \"is a blow for victims in Uzbekistan and damages Germany\'s reputation as a principled leader on behalf of international justice.\" Holly Cartner, HRW\'s Europe and Central Asia director, said, \"The prosecutor should have begun a criminal investigation into Almatov\'s alleged crimes as soon as he arrived in Germany and prevented him from leaving.\" (RFE/RL)
Read 2447 times