By empty (6/23/2005 issue of the CACI Analyst)
Armed men have attacked and burned a girls\' school in Afghanistan, police officials said. They tied up two guards before attacking the school in Logar province, south of the capital, Kabul. Police said the school\'s single small building and two tents used as classrooms had been doused in petrol and burnt to the ground.
Armed men have attacked and burned a girls\' school in Afghanistan, police officials said. They tied up two guards before attacking the school in Logar province, south of the capital, Kabul. Police said the school\'s single small building and two tents used as classrooms had been doused in petrol and burnt to the ground. Girls have been going back to school since the Taleban regime was overthrown in December 2001. Under the Taleban they were barred from education. It was not yet known who was behind the attack on the Padkhwai Raghani School, officials said, but local men were being questioned. Hundreds of thousands of girls have returned to school since the Taleban was ousted, but there is still opposition in conservative areas of rural Afghanistan. There has been a spate of attacks on girls\' schools across the country since 2001. The interior ministry spokesman Latfullah Mashal blamed Taleban militants, saying: \"Burning of schools and education institutions is an agenda of the terrorists\". The school\'s principal, Zaher Din, said he planned to resume classes for his 665 students by Saturday. The pupils are aged from seven to 15. \"The children are desperate for their classes to resume. So many were crying when they saw the school was destroyed,\" he said. (BBC)